View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Shawn England

Default Neat Find & Story - Holyoke Paperweights 1905 Champions Played one MLB Game

Hi all,

Thought I would share this little find... It was kind of neat how it panned out.

I saw this Half Dollar coin with the initials WJR for the 1905 Holyoke Champs of the Connecticut State League. I got on SABR and looked up the 1905 Holyokes and saw only one name that ended with R.... (Butch Rementer)... Well, those initials do not match but then I click on the name and low & behold his full name is Willis J. "Butch" Rementer!

I started searching around and found a 1905 article talking about the Holyoke Champs and the awards that were handed out that day. It mentions that each player received a watch fob... Could this be considered or used as a watch fob??????

Also, the article states that "(Old Frank) Foreman scrambled down on the field with an umbrella which the Holyoke friends of "Butch" Rementer presented." Any idea what that means? For some reason I am not understanding that sentence...?

Butch Rementer is also pictured in the T210-8 Old Mill series, which I think would make a great companion piece!
Edit: Forgot to mention that Rementer played one MLB game for the 1904 Philadelphia Phillies.

Would love to here your thoughts on this and if there are any others known. Any guess on a value for something like this?

Thank you,
Shawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqZHJCEE63(UScHEBOytQVJfzQ~~60_12.jpg (47.2 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqZHJCkE63YKjOZMBOytQdt9dg~~60_12.jpg (67.1 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Article.jpg (76.7 KB, 322 views)

Last edited by smokelessjoe; 01-02-2012 at 12:08 PM.