View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Rick

Back in the 80's and 90's I was big fan of the CART/Champcar Indy racing series. I attended 4-5 races a year including one at The Milwaukee Mile. At the time the race was sponsored by Miller Beer and Robin Yount, who was newly retired, was a spokesman for Miller at the event. I would spend three days at the track watching practice, qualifying and the race on Sunday. I had seen Yount on Friday walking around but didn't bother him because I didn't have anything appropriate for him to sign. Saturday morning I was getting ready to head to the track, I grabbed an MLB ball I had, plus a ticket stub from the game I attended when he got his 3000th hit along with a certificate they gave out and a commemorative Yount book the Brewers had published. I didn't chase him down or stalk him Saturday, I was busy taking photos of the action. My buddy Jim and I were having a beer in the infield after the day's events were over, probably about 5:00 pm or so when my buddy Jim said, "Hey' there's Robin Yount" he was walking nearby in the infield. My friend asked Yount if he'd come over and sign a couple things. He came over, signed the stuff, we offered him a beer, Miller of course, but he said he had to do a sponsor thing otherwise he would. My friend Jim joked with him that he could still hit 260, and asked why he retired but he said his legs were shot and he just couldn't do it anymore to his expectations. It was a great day all around and I wish Robin would have had that beer with us.