View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Right after college (1986) my friend and I made a few large card purchases and were dealers for a few years. It was fun, but I realized that everyone has a price guide for cards so it was difficult to find really good deals. I started collecting yearbooks and programs because I found that I could get much better deals. I also loved that all the players were represented as opposed to a player for each card. The other thing that really swayed me was condition....drop a card and ding the corner, value drops...drop a publication and ding a corner not so much. That lead to all kinds of publications and eventually any kind of sports ephemera. I didn't stick to one team or sport so I am (and still to this day) always able to find something to buy at Flea Markets, Antique Stores, Card Shops, etc. 25 plus years later, my collection is around 15 k to 17.5 k books, publications, photos, tickets and unique paper items. I am really glad that I made the switch, it has been much more satisfying and cheaper!

Jeff