View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
It's Only Me: The Ted Williams We Hardly Knew by John Underwood

This one is inexpensive (less than 5 bucks used on Amazon) and quick to read, but I think essential if you want to really get a full picture of Ted Williams. It comes with a very interesting CD interview of him too.

https://www.amazon.com/Its-Only-Me-W...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I wrote this review years ago:

For all the books written about Ted Williams and his ability to hit a baseball better than anyone who has ever lived, this is a fantastic little book to read if you want to really understand this complicated man. Written by one of Ted's long-time friends and confidants, the book is unusually objective, showing Ted's flaws without apology. Ted had a temper and could be thoughtless, even cruel, and that comes through. So does the rest of Ted's character. When you finish this book, you will probably, like me, "miss" Ted just as the author does.

My favorite little incident has Ted cursing a stray cat that's been hanging around his door. Then, after preparing breakfast for his guests, he sets a plate of scraps by the door for that cat. "No point in it going to waste," he gruffly says. Reading this made me smile. Ted, do you suppose the da** cat hangs around your door so much, because you feed it? A clear example of a famous and profound saying: Actions speak louder than words. Ted curses the cat, but feeds it.

I've always been a big Ted Williams fan. Reading this book has made me even more enthusiastically in Ted's corner, and it has also given me a very clear picture of his dark side. A wonderful book, fair, honest, warm, and very well worth buying and reading.

By the way, the CD that comes with this book, Ted talking about his crash landing in Korea and other assorted subjects, should be listened to after reading the book. First get to know the man, then hear his voice, and it all comes together.
Awesome. Will do! Thanks, casey