View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 03:22 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Some simple solutions to speed up the game without actually CHANGING the game:

1) Put a clock on the next batter getting in the box after the completion of the previous hitter's AB. That time limit should be roughly 2 seconds longer than it takes a team to get around the horn after a groundout.

2) Put a time limit, rather than a pitch limit, on relief pitching changes. You get 75 seconds (or whatever) to get in from the pen, get on the mound, and do your warmup tosses. You wanna walk at the pace of a 90-year old retiree? Fine. You get 1 warmup toss.

3) Pitching changes from the dugout.

4) You get X seconds to throw the first pitch after a commercial break. Something short, like 5 seconds.

Other changes I'd make or at least consider:

1) Every conference at the mound - infielder, catcher, pitching coach, whoever - counts as an official visit. Pitchers must face at least 2 hitters after the visit (the one in the box, the one in the on-deck) unless the inning ends.

2) A limit on throws to 1B for a runner. If you don't get the guy after X throws, you can't throw over for the rest of the inning, including any pitching changes. Doing so gives the runner 2 bases.

3) Stepping out of the box except in the case of injury is an automatic out.

4) Change the save rule to something meaningful. If you come in at the start of the 9th, the lead can only be 1 run to get a save. Something like that.

5) I would also be open to a much-larger strike zone and electronic ball/strike calls.

I love baseball. I go to 35+ minor league games a year but the pace of play is terrible. I just can't do televised MLB games anymore. I've had the MLB package the last two seasons for free from T-Mobile and haven't watched more than about 4 innings with it. That would change if the pace was picked up.