View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 07:50 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
Could you post some of Woody Scharf's articles and correspondence sometime? I'd love to study them and learn more about his insights. Is he still with us?
I know I have all of his Trader Speaks articles on Exhibit cards and related issues. I’ve thought about posting them, but it’s a long series, with I think 30+ articles, and I don’t think he finished it before The Trader Speaks folded, as Dave H said. I have most, and maybe all, of his series of Exhibit card articles that were issued as supplements to Ballcard Collector in the early 70s. These are more detailed, including checklists, but they’re stapled into the center fold and would need to be removed very carefully. I’ll have to see whether I have all of those and how much of a pain it would be to remove them. Luckily Irv Lerner, whose run of Ballcard Collectors I have, does not seem to have been interested in Exhibit cards.

Scharf wrote an article for Ballcard Collector in 1970 with his memories of collecting 1933 Goudey cards when they came out. (Here’s a link: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219310) That would imply that he was born in the early 1920s or so, which would make him almost 100 if he was still alive.