View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 05:47 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Yes, putting aside the fact that Heritage sold the exact same Ruth card last Fall for $717,000 . . .nah, forget it. . . .everything is going up . . . I agree. Purple Kool Aid line to the right . . . .
I remember a PSA 10 Rose going for that--honestly do not recall the Ruth selling for that at PSA 7. I know Tony Arnold sold one in NrMt for just under $300,000 about five years ago. Two transactions just months apart tell you very little with regard to any investment in any event, since ALL will show ups and downs in the short term. Look at the forest and not the trees over a multi-year period, and the picture is pretty clear (although I do think the Ruth will trend downwards--although the significance is immense, there are just too many to sustain those prices IMHO). A 1925 Exhibit Gehrig in G-VG could be had for right around $6500 ten to twelve years ago; now it'll take $30-$40K. Now, if you are talking gem mint 10's of 50's and 60's cards, or even "9's" in some cases, you should see an up and down trend continuing over time, as these cards exist in significant quantities in very presentable but slightly lesser grades. I prefer to think that the supply of "collectors" paying tens and even hundreds of thousands of dollars for a plastic holder and paper slip inside is pretty limited at any one time, but will vary with the ingress and egress of investor-types. $20,000 for a PSA 10 Rickey Henderson rookie, and right around $450 for a very nice 9??? There is no way in the world that the "10" is 40-50x the card that the nine is in any rational mind!

But to each his own--what a boring world this would be if everyone thought exactly alike!

Regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-15-2017 at 05:52 PM.