View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
This is kind of taking a tangent and piggy-backing what Matt said in a different post.

I think it would be so beneficial for me (I would not consider myself an expert in pre-war, but pretty close in modern autographs and occassional post-war), whenever someone posts an autograph example questioning whether it's authentic or not, I would love to see the OP's reasoning on their opinion, and when an expert or other members' come on stating 'yay or nay' on why they believe the autograph is good or bad by pointing out characteristics proving so.

Why? Because I want to learn as much as I can, and I know others do as well. This will help minimize the posts asking for opinions all the time, and will help in teaching us what we can look for and pass on those traits to other collectors.

We have invaluable knowledge here on this site, and I love how we share opinions in the first place, me personally, I would love to get more familiar with Babe, Mantle etc, etc. to help myself as well as others.

Cheers,

Brent

There are people that will give reasoning and show how they come to their conclusion and believe it to be helpful. others cling to the complete myth that forgers are constantly trolling the board looking for anyone to slip up and show them how to get better. it's simply not true. They have things to forge, they are not scrolling through dozens of pages looking for one line that shows them where they went wrong. It's a philosophy of putting information out there. knowledge is power, versus the "everything is proprietary" and what's mine is mine and my exemplars and expertise in an autograph is secret.

There should be no secrets. The forgers don't care one way or the other, so why not give the collectors a fighting chance to educate themselves by sharing information?

Last edited by travrosty; 06-07-2013 at 09:54 AM.