Thread: What say ya???
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 10:10 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Albert "don't call me Joey" Belle looks like a good pick.

I like Joe Carter and the 10 x 100 RBI season, but that .259 lifetime BA doesn't help. If it's any consolation, there have been players with lesser qualifications inducted so Joe is my "why not" player.

Orel with only one 20 game win season and barely over 200 lifetime wins misses as does Harold Baines, even though he had large lifetime totals, he was never dominant and he played a long time (nice guy, though).

The one thing I liked about that Stein guy is that he wanted to WIN. I wish he owned the team I cry over every year. He reminds me of baseball's Donald Trump. Or should I say Donald Trump is the political mirror of George. I'm on the fence with him.

I'm right in the middle of Bill James book on the BB HOF. It was written a while ago, but it's an interesting read and great perspective on the HOF and the guys that have been enshrined.
I like Joe too.

"Joe Carter played 16 seasons for the Cubs, Indians, Padres, Blue Jays, Orioles and Giants, earning five All-Star Game selections and two Silver Slugger Awards as an outfielder. Finishing in the Top 10 of his league’s Most Valuable Player Award voting four times, Carter totaled at least 100 RBI in 10 seasons, a mark met or surpassed by only 17 other players in history. Batting third or fourth for the Blue Jays teams that won back-to-back World Series titles in 1992-93, Carter’s walk-off home run in Game 6 of the 1993 Fall Classic marked only the second time in history a World Series ended on a home run. The durable Carter played in 157-or-more games in eight seasons and totaled 396 home runs, 1,445 RBI and 231 stolen bases"

Steinbrenner is a no brainer to me but SI doesn't like any of them.
https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/11/05/ya...ella-lee-smith