View Single Post
Old 10-09-2002, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Default Prized cards of your collection?

Posted By: jverri01

Nice thread, Ben.

First - I'll take everything on Leon's list, and a side of fries.

I am essentially a t206 back collector, although I do dabble in type collecting, lately, as well.

I don't necessarily collect what is most valuable. Being a trained graphic artist (although I work in the computer field now) I tend to judge by what I perceive as beauty, or art, in cards. For example, my most prized cards tend to be (at this minute, anyway) my high-end Hindu brown cards. When these cards are clean - they are just amazingly appealing visually. They may not be super rare - but, to find them ultra-clean, centered, and with a popular player (like my Clarke, batting example - for example) is very uncommon. I also have a Johnson, portrait Hindu card, among many others.

Carolina Brights, Drum - gorgeous. I have many Lenox backs, but, strangely, find them essentially dull. Same with UZIT. They're tough - but, something about the design is just too "block-style".

E cards are amazing. Talk about art. E93's, E95's, E105's - true art. T204 Ramly - Turkey Red - Talk about a sophistication in both the design and production process. Wow.

To me, cards from the turn of the century epitomize our fascination with the sport of baseball, and clearly reflect our admiration for the legends of that era.