View Single Post
Old 11-21-2003, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Default pet peeve- quoting high book.....grrr

Posted By: runscott

But if you don't know market value for a card, and you are relying on the seller to tell you, then stick a fork in yourself.

Also, if you are going to quote book value, mention the condition that goes along with it. Personally, I ignore those quoted values in auction descriptions.

My pet peeve is "EX" cards with surface wrinkles...or NM cards that really would be NM if not for one tiny little wrinkle (that is still of course noticeable). Or cards with erased pencil writing,etc.that isn't described and doesn't show up in scans.

I have had board members pull each of the above on me, and I never said a word. But they had to realize that it was a one-time sticking, as I will never again buy cards from them...and I haven't.

Similar things to the above have occured in auction wins from major auction houses. Again, I learn what descriptions can be trusted and which ones can't. Minor back damage ends up being a major disaster, the prime card in a lot is over-graded by 1-2 grades,etc. I make mental notes like "okay to buy graded cards from that auction, but not ungraded" or..."okay to buy books,guides,but not ungraded cards...or..."25% of cards in EXMT or better lots will be trimmed or otherwise altered...bid accordingly"

I wonder if you guys who are hosing your customers (many who are reading this post) realize that it is costing you more than you are gaining?