View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 12:02 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post

if this is true...as many here seem to think...that recent dramatic rise is due to many "non-collectors" entering the market...then "commons" will continue to remain stagnant unless they are uber high grade and the cards that will continue to rise will be the big name hof'ers especially in super high grade.
I agree with this also. In the past when set collecting, I would find myself spending $$$$ on commons that I would only spend one minute looking at, after I bought it, and I would put it in a box with the rest of the set, and never look at these commons again. After a while, I just could not justify spending so much money on commons and preferred to spend it on cards that I wanted to look at all of the time.

I also wonder if the rising prices on the "key" cards in the hobby is having an effect on depressed prices in other areas. For example, a collector might have a 1951 Bowman Mantle or 1955 Topps Clemente as a second or third tier card in their want list that they want to pick up someday, but just not right now as their working on whatever set they are trying to complete. However, as the prices of these key cards have skyrocketed, collectors are thinking, hey, I better get one of those cards now or I might never be able to afford one in the future. So, they are trying to chase that runaway train. Of course, if they are able to purchase those key cards, they have a lot less money to spend on those commons in that set they were working on.