View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Default Greatest athlete of all-time

Posted By: DJ

Glad I added humor to you Scott but I can't put Carl Lewis on my list.

Okay, comparing Carl Lewis to a bowler was more for amusment (was going to go the route of the Hot Dog eating guy who has dominated his sport) but his accomplishments were in competitions where he was the best at his sport at his time, but it wasn't a feat sustained over a season or a long period of time.

He performed about as much as a Heavyweight these days. His spot light came in the Olympics and if you added up all the time he spent in the spotlight in competition, he may have been on display for ten minutes. I give sprinters credit, but not that much credit, especially when he defeats another sprinter in the 200 meters in a matter of several seconds. Also I give credit for multiple achievments. Jumping, skipping, running doesn't do it for me over such a small period of time. Why aren't marathon runners on any lists then? If Carl Lewis is an athlete, then what about those who train and sustain?

Now if Carl played a little Centerfield somewhere or played in the NFL, he would get further credit but I think you are giving him a tad too much credit. Basically he goes fast straight or jumps long. I believe many sprinters like Neimiah and Edwin Moses tried to excel in other sports and simply failed.

Jay backs me up on this and I agree.

Yes this is Baseball Forum and I think I said I would probably to go with Lance Armstrong or Jim Thorpe. I would also add Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Willie Mays, Pele, Rocky Marciano, Jack Johnson, Babe Diedrikson, Annika Sorenstam, Bo Jackson.

DJ
edited to say: How about Secreteriat? How about Tony Hawk?