View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Default Greatest athlete of all-time

Posted By: DJ

First off, why is everyone picking on poker of late on the VBC? How about Bass anglers or professional bowling?

Lists like this are subjective and it's intent is to get us talking about the list and I think they purposely emit people to "get our juices going". Wasn't there a "Greatest Americans" list and wasn't hack doctor Phil McGraw on that list?

For my money, I think "Greatest Athlete" should be a person who excels in two sports and Jay is correct in what he writes. How can you not include Babe Diedrickson?

I rode my bike to the store yesterday and found myself half passed out. Based on that, Lance Armstrong should be at the top of the list to be honest with you. Riding a bike after cancer and dominating the sport as he has should out shadow athletes that change balls around a field.

In a year or so, ESPN will have another stupid list and we'll talk about that as well. (yawn).

DJ

edited:

Ok, I saw the PSA list and I would like to know which "knobs" assisted in that train wreck. Ali was great and did a lot for the sport but was more of a marketer and loud mouth than a fighter. Those last three fights may have tarnished his legacy in my mind. Why not Rocky Marciano then? How can you include Ernie Davis on a list? I think when SGC comes out with a list, I'll probably have more respect for their opinions.