View Single Post
Old 02-26-2023, 11:09 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
That's the thing, imo. Numerous cards from way back then did not all come from the factory all the same size so trimming off whatever small amount the trimmers do (Thousandths of an inch?) is very hard to detect if the card still remains in spec.

I've heard before, however, that the TPG's can/should be able to detect, based on the edge color (and maybe some other things?) compared to the rest of the card, whether it has been recently trimmed or not?

Imo, it is a tough one for the TPG's to grade, especially if the edge looks like the rest of the card, (color/age wise) if one has been trimmed or not if it still falls into the size parameters.
(This is just my uneducated thought anyways)
In hand, it's usually pretty easy to separate a likely trim job, I think. Color of the edge itself is one of several clues. True microtrims where only a very tiny strip is cut off very modern cards (which still vary in size - a stack of 2023 Topps base are visibly different sizes if you look closely) are the ones where I just can't tell. Telling from a scan is often tough because it doesn't show most of the edge of a card.

Natural variance should lead, overall, to a roughly equal number of oversized and undersized cards.