View Single Post
Old 04-30-2016, 01:21 AM
Bob Davies

The Expos logo brings be back to my baseball loving youth, having grown up in Montreal. As kids, we would go to 20 odd games a year. Jarry Park was about a 90 minute journey one way (bus, subway, subway, and bus). We would hang around the street, and I'd have a transistor radio, listening to the games as we would hang. At night, I would listen to the games when I was supposed to be asleep.

One of my favorite memories as a 13-14 year old punk was going to a ball game at Jarry Park (a glorified minor league park) one Friday night. There were four of us. After the game, we hid in a bathroom until the place emptied. We then went onto the field, with only the floodlights on. We pretended to hit balls and run the bases for about an hour. I cannot tell you how we got home, but it was obviously pretty late, as there were no more busses coming to the stadium.

When I told my kids that story, they remarked how they could never get away with that today.

My moniker, Stampsfan, is my eBay ID, having joined in 1998 or so. Now living in Calgary, our local CFL team is called the Stampeders. Been a season ticket holder since I moved here in 1980. Not all of us are hockey nuts in Canada... some of us are more passionate about baseball and football, including our little league up here.