View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 07:30 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
This is a horrible call, and perhaps in a vacuum, the worst. But I believe that this is essentially a league equivalent to Triple-A and as far as I know, the game had no significance. The story doesn't even mention how the at bat ends - does the missed strike matter in any way? Did he walk because of it and score a run that made the difference in the game? Or was it inconsequential? I'm guessing it was inconsequential...

Unlike the Jim Joyce blown call in Armando Galaraga's non-perfect game. That's an umpire at the apex of his profession who blew a call that was very consequential. That's a worse call than this ball, in my opinion.

What are the other candidates out there? Any blown/missed calls that had an impact on a playoff race, playoff game or playoff series? I'd say anything like that would also be worse than the one in the link...
Yes in terms of impact on a significant game there have been much worse calls in sports. But as far as just completely missing such an obvious call I'm not sure any compare. If anyone has one to share I'd like to see it.

Here's a link to the 10 worst calls in sports according to espn, taking into account the significance.

https://www.espn.com/page2/s/list/wo...ls/010730.html

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 07-20-2018 at 07:34 PM.