View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Michael

This is an interesting thread and I thought I'd pick some of the experts' brains, if I may. I recently purchased the Mantle in the attached photos (the one on the right in the front photos and the one on top in the back photos). The story on the card is that it (along with other Exhibit cards) was issued for the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) in 1969 to honor the new Montreal Expos. I searched the web and didn't find anything about it. I did find that there is an annual CNE that has been going on for a number of years. I couldn't find anything supporting the story of these cards being printed for the 1969 CNE. As shown in the photos, the card itself is slightly smaller than a normal Exhibit (in both the length and the width) and has a slightly different cropping of the Mantle picture. The card front doesn't appear to be quite as crisp as the normal card, but it does seem pretty close to me. The card back is not cream colored but not exactly gray like in the previous pictures. In addition, this Mantle isn't on the earlier list of reprints. So, the $64,000 question, real or reprint? Also, when did the Exhibit Company officially stop printing the cards we consider "normal" or official cards?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exhibits front.jpg (78.6 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg Exhibits back.jpg (80.0 KB, 210 views)