View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 01:57 PM

Default March Pickups

Here are a couple of my recent pickups. The first piece is a letter written by and signed by the Phillies owner GP Nugent in 1933 to Honus Wagner thanking him for his attendance at an old-timers game to celebrate the Phillies anniversary. The letter has a notation on back reading: no answer required. I guess this could be Honus' handwriting. The letter came with a small snapshot of Honus and some others carrying apple baskets.

The other pickup, I posted on the basketball thread too, but figured I would post it here since it is a March pickup. It is a trophy basketball from the 1923 AAU Basketball championship game between the Kansac City Athletic Club (KCAC) Blue Diamonds versus the Hillyard All Shines. The ball has National AAU Champions painted in gold at the top, and a large white painted diamond (I guess the diamond shape to coincide with their team name) that is decorated with the score and the starting 5 of the KCAC - George Williams Capt C, George Reeves F, Milton Singer F, George “Pidge” Browning G, and Robert Sanders G