View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 04:05 PM
Robert Kasenter

Default National

I am a bit spoiled in that attending a National is seldom a burden for me. My office is literally 10 minutes from the Rosemont Convention Center when it is in Chicago and I have family about two hours from Cleveland so I schedule the summer family visit to coincide when in Cleveland. Consequently, I never have hotel or travel expense.

With respect to the show itself, I think it was rather typical. For me personally, it was a bit unusual in that I got exactly what I was looking for and literally nothing else. Most nationals I go to with my list and I don't find any of it, but I end up with a dozen other cool things I didn't ever know I needed. I went to Cleveland needing 2 cards to finish my 1938 Goudey set, 1 card to finish my 1887 Allen Ginter (baseball only) set and needing to upgrade my 1963 Topps Mantle so that all of my 1960s Mantles are at least a 7 (will upgrade my 1952 Mantle to a 7 when I win the Powerball, for now just authentic).

Went Friday and within 3 hours had:

1887 Chas Bennett
1938 Jimmie Foxx
1938 Hank Greenberg
1963 Mantle

After that, literally my biggest expense was $8 on nachos. Oh, I did go to the Indians-Angels game that evening (Trout did not play (sucks) Ohtani hit two homers (cool)-not an Angels fan, but looked forward to seeing those stars).

Rob