View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 03:04 AM

Default Just how much does condition affect value?

I always wondered this and it has been discussed before, but haven't really seen anything in detail. If a card is really beat up, multiple creases, soft corners, maybe some writing, paper loss, how would you value a card like this?

One thing I've noticed is the T206 cards, and some 50's topps cards that are in demand usually somebody is still willing to pay about 20 to 30 percent of book. If the card is not in demand then sometimes it is hard to sell for 5% of book.

I know in the past, questions are posed on whether YOU would buy a card like this, but what kind of value would the card be worth.

Personally, if it's a card I want and it is vintage, I am willing to pay a decent percentage of BV for the card. I know because it is "vintage" condition is expected to be a little less then some of the newer cards.

This post would be in regard to raw cards, but I suppose graded could be in the equation when it comes to how much would you pay.

The thing about beat up cards, is the collector has the advantage, because somebody on a budget can put together a collection they enjoy. The thing is though for me, is I shop around for cards that are not beat up too much, but I have a maximum that I am willing to pay. I think it makes buying cards interesting.

Interested in hearing people's thoughts when it comes to value whether the card is trimmed (but sharp corners, good eye appeal), a good centered card but major creases etc. etc. etc.

Last edited by jasonc; 12-24-2013 at 03:06 AM.