View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Gary McNabb

Default New direction and perception to my collecting

Just recently I have become very frustrated with my collecting as the result of the cost of cards and my lack of funds. I had put a small collection of pre-war cards together back in the late 70's & early 80's. I focused on New York Americans and tried to establish a type collection. The passion of the hunt was addicting ! All came to halt as the result of the death of my oldest child who I shared the collection with.
Two years ago I began to look at my cards and the passion and addiction got a hold on me again, but soon the frustration set in when I realized that the cards I wanted cost hundreds of dollars. I relieved my frustration by joining this forum and talking to others about our cards. I also met Scott from aquarian sports cards and became the runner for his auctions, I am having such a blast.
After a few posts on the forum I started to get inquires about selling some of my cards that I was talking about with the forum gang. At the time the thought of selling some of my cards seemed sacrilege. Getting bored, I switched from type collecting and began trying to put together team sets. HOFers, short prints and variations soon again became frustrating obstacles. So I had to rethink my collection and change my perception of how I wanted to collect. I thought maybe it was time to give up some of my cards and give others the enjoyment that gave me and than put the money into some cards that would again make me happy. The first ones to go were my t215-1 Red Cross Chance and my e107 Williams both tough cards and than I completed my team sets of e90-1, t205 with multi backs, t206 with multi backs, t202 and one card short of t207. Next is the t204 set. Happy and life is good !!!

Last edited by garymc; 11-23-2017 at 09:57 AM.