View Single Post
Old 12-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Default My Ideas for Next Steps

Posted By: T206Collector

We're a lot closer on this than I thought. I also have no problem with erasing marks and or removing glue from cards. And like you, I don’t view this as altering the card. While I do not think there is an affirmative "duty to disclose," I agree that it should lower the overall value of the item, if detectable. And also agree that grading companies provide the MK qualifier or a lowered grade if they see evidence of it.

Where we part ways, somewhat, is that I view an MK qualifier or lower grade as an endorsement of these practices, unlike, say, trimming or chemical bleaching. If this isn't an endorsement, it is at least remaining neutral on the topic. Again, with my Chance (formerly in PSA 4 MK holder, now in SGC 40 holder -- submitted for crossover without cracking it out), it is obvious both PSA and SGC saw the poorly erased pencil markings on the back. I have several other examples that reflect this practice.

In short, the major grading companies currently employ the standard that I endorse. I am also against those that try to alter cards in ways not permitted by the grading companies; especially if those people are trying to get their reworked cards graded by such companies.

It appears to me that Jim would prefer to have a policy that erasures and soakings were impermissible and that cards with detectable erasures or soakings should not be graded by the major grading companies or sold at auction without a disclosure of such findings -- basically endorsing an MK qualifier; whereas I prefer that SGC gives you a hit in the grade, rather than a high grade with an MK qualifier.