View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Of Blue OLD MILL T206's....and such

I initiated this thread, displaying the Lundgren reprint alongside a real T206 of Tenney, in order to illustrate an obvious difference
between the backs of these two OLD MILL cards. This was in response to a fellow collector who was very skeptical of the Walsh
blue OLD MILL card. He recalled having several old reprints cards (in the 1990's) that had blue OLD MILL backs.

Having known the owner for over 25 years of the blue OLD MILL Walsh card; and, having seen this card close up prior to it being
graded, I feel it is an original T206.

My speculation regarding this card is simply this scenario. The pressman at American Lithographic was printing a run of PIEDMONT
backs on pre-printed sheets (of fronts). Subsequently, a job order called for OLD MILL backs. But, the pressman forgot to replace
the blue ink in his press with Black ink. And, continued printing the OLD MILL backs with the Blue ink remaining from the prior PIED-
MONT press run.

NOTE....Some have previously said that this card's OLD MILL is "POLAR BEAR blue ink". I differ with that observation. Walsh cards
were printed in the 150/350 series. The POLAR BEAR backs were printed in the 350-only, 350/460 and 460-only series (but not in
the 150/350 series T206's).

If this scenario explains this Walsh card anomaly, then we should eventually discover a few more cards with Blue OLD MILL backs.
Which should provide us more confidence that this Walsh card is real. However, I caution T206 back collectors, this Blue ink OLD
MILL is strictly the result of a printing anamoly....not a "new T206 back".

TED Z