View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Default Good Luck to Everyone on the New Board

Posted By: T206Collector

...the new forum is broken or doesn't work. I can log on and post with almost the same ease as I am able to here. But in terms of being able to scroll through posts it is not as clean.

The "product" is text and images. On the current board, you could post text and images in one thread on one page and scroll top to bottom, moving cleanly from text to text. Now there are at least two impediments to an easy read:

1: "The Blue Bar," which separates with images, include a big blue bar and an avatar, the readable text. Don't underestimate the value of Network54's scroll, which shades every other text box for ease of reading.

2: "Posts-per-Page", which though can be lengthened in preferences to some degree, cannot encompass the whole. This one is far more serious, because people will not read previous pages before posting. You will have a loss of information and much will be needed to be repeated. That is, most people will click to the last page, read that and reply. Few will comb through page after page within a thread. That was impossible under this forum. In order to post here you had to at least scroll through the entire page.

Again, it is not that I find the forum "difficult to use," per se, it is that it is more cumbersome and distracting towards my goal of getting information quickly. In my view, a change for an improvement in administrative functionality is not worth the loss of contribution and information that is surely going to result.

Am I forecasting gloom and doom on the new site? Well, no. But I do think the new site will be a diluted product.