View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 PM
CraigH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGreenwood View Post
How did Anaheim works itself out of the rotation?
There is an issue that the promoters and the Anaheim Convention Center disagree with. It's been said here before, but I cannot remember the reason.

That is the official word. The real reason I suspect is related to majority of the dealers are east of the Mississippi and they don't want to travel several days trucking their wares cross-country. Anaheim is far from the only major trading post in the West. The last National in Anaheim was in 2006 and attendance was poor.

The bigger problem is that the show circuit in our hobby has slumped a great deal since the strike years. It isn't about kids, young people or the internet because they all show up to Comi-Con. But our hobby's culture has become more introverted and internet based. I have friends that collect(even vintage stuff) and they are in their mid-30s, but won't attend conventions.

Like how MLB is doing the World Baseball Classic to influence global competition and expansion, I've seen shows like the Culver City one pop up trying to revive show activity on the West Coast. Like a lot of people on this forum, I definitely try to support these efforts when I can but I expect it will be awhile before the board decides it's worth coming out West again.

Craig H.