View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 03:08 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
Thanks, Lance. I did a search for scanner/printer threads but got so many hits that were not relevant that I gave up. A scanner w/a CCD element is also the advice I received from Frank in a PM so I'm definitely going w/that. Good to know that the combo units are garbage as well.
I don't know if ALL combo units are trash, but I've never seen one that had a CCD element, and without that your slabbed card scans will look out of focus regardless of how well the scanner performs otherwise.

I personally have/use 3 different Epson scanners and have been pleased with all of them. The Epson Perfection 3490 is my workhorse (I've burned through 2 and am on my 3rd now), and though they don't make them any more, you can usually pick them up cheaply second-hand. I don't think I've ever paid more than $50 for one (including shipping).

I also have a Mustek ScanExpress 1200 flatbed, which is great for oversized items (11.7"x16.5" scanning bed), but does have a CIS element, so it's only good for flats. It has also stopped responding lately, I think because the sensor that wakes it up when the lid is opened has gone out, but I rarely use it and haven't dedicated time to sussing out the real problem. Otherwise, it acts as a base for my Epson to sit on my desk