View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Default Banner advertising on the board?

Posted By: John

Richard, has hit the nail on the head it really is a question of impartiality more than anything. Anytime you are taking money from any outside source to say that they will not influence the situation in any way, is just plain silly IMO.

“Wouldn't you want to get the most from whatever you are doing?”

Absolutely would, and I do every day its called a business.

Where is the line drawn? If you’re looking to offset the cost of operating the site I understand. But what does it really cost to maintain this thing, $250, $500 a year?? I don’t think opening an advertising relationship is really needed to offset the cost, or at least I hope your overhead isn’t that high?

So then it becomes a question of making money beyond the simple day-to-day costs, which I’m fine with too. But lets call it what it is, a business move. And if it’s a business move why not get as much as you can out of it?

Why not make this a real revenue generator, why take one or two banner ads when there can be multiple?

Why not charge a membership fee to all the forum members?? I’d pay it, and I wouldn’t have wonder about impartiality and your costs would be offset. In fact I think if everyone tossed up $20 a year that could also help make the place more fun, and have dinners too.

Why not get a kickback, float or commission fee based on any auctions in which board members bid and win as a result of direct advertising on this forum, giving of course that they were referred via this site? Getting a 2% fee based on winnings could really add up.

Is there real impartiality? For arguments sake, lets say Mastronet is providing you with a $2000+ a month partnership 24k a year. Are you really going to let people bash the living you know what out of what is a current business partner? After all you would like to sell more advertising right? Even if so there will always be doubt.

Why end with just one $2k a month deal why not have a dozen?

Leon, not trying to bust your balls. I for one would be happy to write you check to help offset your yearly costs of course I would want to be a moderator too, LOL.

This IMO could really be a wolf in sheep’s clothing, no matter how innocent the plan may seem. Now if it’s a profit plan and the free ride is over. I’m cool with that but, thats a where a business begins and the non-profit ends, so why don’t you make the most of it, and will you??

Just some thoughts…

Regards,

John

Also for the record, if the cost of operating this place is really that much. I would assume that at any given time. Anyone of us would have stepped up no questions asked, me included.