View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Bill Gregory

Default Am I nuts to consider this?

I'm sitting here this afternoon, waiting for a baseball card to arrive (one I'm very excited about), and I'm looking at my T202 cards, my T206 cards, and my '33 and '34 Goudeys. And I just feel like I'm nine years old all over again. For a few minutes, anyway, nothing is hurting, because I flash back to sitting up in my friend Carl Zach's bedroom, him pulling out his shoe box of late 70s Milwaukee Brewer baseball cards. Long before third party graders, and looking at baseball cards under electron microscopes.

I really love these things. They make me smile.

Then, I look over to the box with the majority of my Bowman Chrome prospect autos, which range from 2005 to 2014. Don't get me wrong, I love them, too. I subscribe to Baseball America, MLB.tv and MILB.com. I watch the stars of tomorrow progress through high school and college. I wonder where they will get drafted, and by who. The whole prospecting thing is fun, especially when I'm right. And I'm right far more often than I'm wrong. That also helps me with my fantasy baseball league.

If I decided to sell my Bowman Chrome prospect set, I could go a little nuts buying more pre-war and vintage cards. There would be fewer cards to store, or lug around. Fewer cards to worry about updating for insurance purposes.

Am I nuts to consider doing this? I know that these modern cards could go down in value. A lot of them. Do I cash out on them now, or do I not worry about how valuable they are, and keep them because they smile.

I don't know if the Bowman Chrome auto cards would make me smile more or less than the pre-war and vintage cards.

Help me decide this please!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.