View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
Thanks for bringing my attention to that story, I'll have to try to see the documentary. Pete Hill best years were played in the years before any organized league and it was quite an undertaking for baseball historians to piece together his career, but thanks to dogged researchers his career has been brought to the surface again.

A few years ago I collaborated with Pete's nephew Major Ron Hill and Negro League historian Gary Ashwill to make a 15 card set on the career of Pete Hill. A fun project and a great challange as there are not many photo references of Hill from his playing days. Pete's nephew uses the cards and gives presentations to schoolkids about the Negro Leagues. I'm sure this documentary will given even more perspective on this little-known Hall of Famer.

The Yahoo piece got me excited for the documentary. We don't often think of these guys in a pre war sense but they were definately the true pioneers paving a tough road that took a half century to become far from an equal opportunity in the majors.