View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

Which aspect of business are you most into?

There are some interesting topics that are very math involved. Like
Optimal Inventory levels - For the hobby that could be based on hometown team vs popularity vs performance and portion of a players career.

Or as some have mentioned, more social topics.
Maybe player value based on public perception/popularity? For example - I'd bet the Pats sold enough Tebow stuff to cover his preseason pay with a decent profit leftover. OR in baseball, the value of keeping Bonds or Arod until a milestone is reached compared to the impact of public disfavor with the player.

Or on the customer service/sales side

Given an uncommon product just how bad can you be before profits/sales are reduced unacceptably.

Or outside the hobby, how to sell a more expensive but longer lasting product enabling you to pay higher wages but to fewer people. As an example, my first TV when I was on my own was one my family bought in 1973. It lasted a bit over 20 years before I replaced it with a similarly sized one. which also lasted around 20 years. I don't expect to get that much time from my new one, maybe half as long. Things are similar but worse for DVD players, computers, cell phones and even cars. And how much of our consumption society is driven by a created "need" for features making a 3-4 year lifecycle of a product in the $300-1500 range acceptable.

Steve B