View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Lol...those damn up & down arrows. I remember, when something would move up $5-10, thinking I was sitting on some gold mine. And conversely how pissed I would get when something I owned had a down arrow.
Yeah, and how they knew that a 1989 Donruss Mark Lemke rookie card went down from $0.20-something the prior month to precisely $0.17 cents the next will remain a hobby mystery for all time. (an actual example; for old times sake I flipped through it a bit when I made that scan above.)

and FYI in that issue:
-the Clemente rookie was "up" to $800 in NM condition [at least I think that's what the right hand most column was meant to be indicative of for vintage, but I couldn't find a key in that issue confirming that, not that NM meant the same then as it does now in the era of professional TPG]
-the '52 Mantle was holding steady at $6600
-and on the monthly "Hot-Cold" list, Mike Greenwell and Greg Jefferies were holding strong in the top 5, having traded each other for the second and third spots from the prior month (Canseco held at #1 of 30); meanwhile, some new kid named Griffey Jr cracked in at #20 from previously 'not-ranked'....I recall that he was very favorably scouted at the time and with a lot of optimism as well, but still no one could have known exactly how that was going to eventually play out...