View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Default Money for T206 Honus Wagner of Cobb/Edwards

Posted By: Miguel Danielson

Isn't it curious that these two fellows won't trust SGC or PSA -- people who handle cards worth hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars every single day, without any allegation or complaint of tampering -- with their card, not even for the hour or so they could wait in the lobby to have it examined...BUT, they will hand the thing over in perpetuity to some small time ANTIQUES dealer in the middle of nowhere?

Of course this thing is an obvious fake -- nobody without a financial stake in the card doubts this. The only question is whether these guys are knowing frauds, or whether they are simply legitimately stupid enough to believe that they're so special that they have the only known authentic T206 wagner with the re-print typeface and other re-print indicators. My belief, based on the above, is that the former is the case. I think everyone here understands this, and I think that is why there is such animosity here.

Relatedly, but off topic, I recently watched a really fascinating documentary about a woman who purchased a painting at a thrift store for a few bucks and believes it is an authentic Jackson Pollack. In that case, there is actually much better evidence that she is right, and she's even been offered real money (but not Jackson Pollock money) for the painting on several occasions. It's a good watch if you're into the treasure hunting stories. It occurs to me that the two Honus Wanger fake owners are trying to come off like the lady in this movie, but they are very, very different indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_the_****_Is_Jackson_Pollock%3F