View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 11:11 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
So, what do we make of this SF pennant? Obviously, 1958 or later. It has the "satiny" spine. Just some unknown maker, stealing artwork? BTW - this is a pretty tough pennant to find and one of my favorite,s due to the "one off" font.
This is a beautiful pennant, Rob! It’s hard to figure. I lean away from WGN because of the spine, not just the material but the crooked stitch (which doesn’t detract from its coolness) is unlike them. In that sense it resembles Ad Flag. Another indication is the type of stitch ... and here I have to plead ignorance, I don’t know the names. But there are three distinct types

1. Trench (almost all, but not all) and WGN used a simple stitch, with long length, that would come loose easily.

2. Ad Flag, Keezer, and ASCO used what looks like a reinforced stitch, noticeable on the back. Looks like a tight straight line. These were much more sturdy.

3. Zig zag stitch which I’ve only seen on one very rare series, unknown maker.

The early pennants seemed to use a simple stitch like Trench but very short length which made the spine tighter. Rarely see pre-teen pennants with loose spine and tassels that fell out.

As for Trench ... there’s a guy on eBay selling 3/4 size pennants (Red Sox, KCA, White Sox, LAA) from a find ... he even showed a pic of the box which was from Trench. Cloth pennants with cloth spine, and a stitch like ASCO. But they also look a little sloppy ... in the sense that my first thought was that they were knockoffs. But the box said otherwise.

.... As you know I’ve been fascinated with this set for quite awhile and I’ve never seen Orioles or KC A’s. There is this Milwaukee pennant, however (not mine)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44A6C248-48E2-49C2-B3D5-4C62159545F4.jpg (20.5 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 01-16-2021 at 11:28 AM.