View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Default What if the dream became reality? What would you do?

Posted By: John

All right lets put a twist on this. Since there seem to be so many here who feel strongly against taking advantage of people, shady auction house sales practices or simply have unforgiving consciences.

I’ll pose this scenario.

Lets face it we all dream about it; if you don’t…then you don’t collect baseball cards check your pulse.

It’s a beautiful Saturday afternoon you’ve spent the better part of the day with loved ones or by yourself scouring the local antique stores and flea markets. Upon exiting one local store your stop by a man in his late 40’s he explains he over heard you at a counter ask the clerk if anyone had baseball related items. He asks you if your are interested in baseball cards “early ones he says”. You say yes. You walk back to the trunk of his car and he opens a large box of cards.

Inside the box at a quick glance is mostly E107’s with a few T206’s all EX at the worst around 60+ cards. At quick glance you see E107’s of Plank, Wagner, Matty and Waddell. Easily 50-100k worth of cards.

The gentleman explains that he knows they have some value but no idea to the exact value. He continues to say that he is in need of $3000 dollars for personal reasons before the end of the month. He needs the money to pay moving expenses they have lost the house and unless they can come up with 40k they better prepare for the move which is around 3k. He asks if you would be interested in the box at 3k. He goes on to explain that this was his first stop he’s heading on his way to Chuckles Bros. Card Shop in town. He was told dealers pay less that’s why you got first shot.

Also you want the cards so if this box of cards isn’t your thing place what ever your dream is in the shoebox.

Time is running out here are your 4 options I will give you to choose from. You have $4k in the pocket and 27k in the savings account.

1.)Give him the 3k take the cards and run. Knowing that the baseball card dealer will more than likely do the same thing just moments from now.

2.)Give him the 4k in the pocket then give him a check for 27k wiping you savings account.27k you really dont want to spend and can't even really afford to wipe yourself out either. It’s not 40k but 9k short maybe he can work something out with the bank on Monday. Still getting a steal at 31k, and it makes you feel better. Even though you know the guy could more than likely use the 100+k that there worth.

3.)Explain to the gentleman the true value of the cards and that he can sell them (ebay) for much more hoping that he will cut you in on commission or at least give you a few cards for the nice gesture. (No Guarantees)

4.)Convince him to visit a major auction house with you knowing you may be able to get a finders fee out of the deal from the auction house. But also knowing you will never own any of the cards in the box. They will be on the block.

So what are you going to do, what would you do if this dream we all dream about happened. I also wonder how many dealers and auction houses would deal with the situation, would we be impressed or find even more reasons to boycott them because of the choice they made with a similar situation.

Since I have been here I have had crazy offers from board visitors and members on cards I was selling, ridiculous trade offers for cards and so on. And I’m no little old lady with a box of cards, so try to be honest in your answers nobody here is up for the baseball card saint award.