View Single Post
Old 06-03-2017, 04:07 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

In my opinion, the brown LENOX cards are simply ink-printing mistakes.

I agree with this, but I want to add something. The Brown Lenox is very different from the Brown Old Mill. The OMs are a light brown color. Since Southern Leaguers were all printed with either Piedmont, Hindu, or Old Mill backs, it is easy to imagine a printer forgetting to switch the ink after printing sheets of Hindus. He uses the same light brown ink for the OMs, but quickly realizes his mistake. The sheet of Brown OMs is scrapped, but some printer takes them home , cuts them by hand, and gives them to his kids. Thus all Brown OMs are hand cut and light in color.

The Brown Lenox are different. They are a much darker brown. Remember that Brown Lenox that I brought to the National two years ago? When I showed it to people, many of them thought that it was black until I told them to look closer. What I think happened was a printer somehow used the same brown ink that was used for the player and team caption at the bottom of the cards. It probably only happened on one sheet, based on the small number that have turned up.

I don't think that the error was caught, since the Brown Lenox are factory cut. Or perhaps the mistake was noticed, but they distributed the cards anyway, figuring that no one would notice. In any case, they seem to have been given out in packs like the regular Black Lenox. But I definitely agree that they were produced in error.

Last edited by Sean; 06-03-2017 at 11:02 AM.