View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Default O/T -- but related to baseball card scarcity!

Posted By: Rob Fouch

I'm not too old . . . yet. The cards that were thrilling to me to pull were Sandberg (huge Cubs fan), Mattingly, Ripken, and any and all Cubs. Loved Leon Durham and Ron Cey.
I didn't really get into cards until I was a teenager. Unfortunately, that coincided with the '80s/'90s glut, so I ended up with boxes and boxes of cards that were produced in the bazillions. But I understand what you mean about the addictive quality. Today I found myself scrounging around the display at Wal-Mart looking for stray 2006 Topps packs. Logically, I knew I had virtually no chance of getting the Gordon card (which I suppose I would have sold and used the proceeds for a Cobb or something), but still couldn't help myself. Guess it's sort of the same reason people spend hundreds of dollars on the lottery when they'd be much better off just putting the money in savings or investing it somehow.

I don't (or I try not to) judge anyone else's collecting tastes. I'm sure plenty of people out there would think we're nuts for spending the kind of money we do on cards of players, excluding the obvious biggies, who most people have never heard of. If someone wants to collect shiny cardboard, more power to them. As long as they enjoy it.