View Single Post
Old 03-27-2004, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Default Virtual Collectors

Posted By: runscott

After owning a crap HP for several years, I searched extensively before buying a replacement. Ended up getting an Epson 1660 "photo" model. I don't remember the price, but it was equitable to the HP and I was told at several places that it was much more reliable. Result was that I have had no problems whatsoever, and it is set up for slides if I wish to add that attachment. The old HP went down constantly - I had to re-load software several times, add patches, etc. I finally simply threw it in the trash can.

(edited to add following)

Regarding "scan collecting", the most important thing is to envision up front how you want your folders to look...design your folder set-up very carefully because it can be a bit of a pain to re-arrange/move scans later. Mine is broken up into folders for each issue, with "current" and "sold" and "details" sub-folders. Most scans are at the same resolution, while "details" contains just that. I also have folders for photos, premiums, equipment,etc. Equipment, for example, has sub-folders for gloves, bats, uniforms, etc. "Photos" has sub-folders for "team" and "individual".

Name your scans according to standard conventions, rather than giving them long names that some software packages (Net 54) won't recognize. For t206's, I begin the file name with the number from Lipset's book.

Even if you set up a nice web-site like JC and Hal (and others) have, it is still important to have them saved on your p.c. I also back mine up to cd's occasionally, and distribute sub-sets of scans when board members request them. I've sent out several cd's of my t206s.