View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Default Greatest Single Game Performance

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I think Larson is still it, a World Series game is a bit more than a normal game.

I listened to the Tatis grand slams and the Whitten home runs on the radio. My recollection is that Whitten came close to hitting a fifth.

Musial hit 5 home runs in one day, but it was a double header. My recollection is that he had a sore wrist, and took only 5 swings that day...

Since this wasn't limited to a major league game, I turn to my T210 interests... Fred Toney pitched a 17 inning no hitter on May 10, 1909, as Winchester beat Lexington in the Blue Grass League. My recollection is that Toney won his next outing, didn't allow a hit the first 2 innings of that game, and finally won it as a 1 hit shutout. Toney was later involved in the double no-hitter in the majors on May 2, 1917. Toney was up for Cincinnati pitching against Chicago's Hippo Vaughn, each pitched nine hitless innings. The Reds won, 1-0, in the the 10th as Vaughn yielded two hits, while Toney finished the game without allowing a hit.

So 17 innings of no hits, that is a good day. A long game in the day light! Not some half=lit night no hitter.