View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Talkin' BaseBall Pinball machines

As a kid growing up in the 1940's & '50s, I was a BB pinball "nut". Every Summer we would go to the Jersey shore,
where the biggest & best BB pinball machines were. I'd spend my entire Coin collection playing BB pinball machines.

In 1988, an SCD adv. was auctioning off a BB pinball machine. I instantly realized that it was no ordinary machine,
but the "Babe Ruth" of BB machines. I bid on it and won it. And, since it had some electro-mechanical problems, I
got it for a very reasonable price. Applying my EE expertise, I solved its problems, and I've had it in operation for
the past 22 years.

Shown here is my 1950 United Super Slugger. It has 3 decks that you aim to hit HR's....and, 4th level (a small slot
designated "SUPER HOMER") that tallies up 50 Runs if you are lucky to hit it. This slot is seldom hit. Plastic players
run the bases, and it has many other clever features.

The machine allows you 3 Outs to run up the score; and, some pretty high scores have been been been attained
on it. My Grandson Ron, Mark Macrae, friends Pat Roche, and Kim Vida, have run up scores approaching 500 Runs.
I have the highest score (526 Runs) on it....home-court advantage, I guess.

Anyhow, that's my story, so now let's hear about your BB pinball stories ?

[linked image]

TED Z