View Single Post
Old 10-25-2022, 06:10 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REF....Anti-tobacco guys....Connie Mack and Eddie Plank

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * T206 REFERENCE....Reflections, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

.. Sweet Caporal ..... Sovereign ......... Piedmont_____The "House" that created these Tobacco cards____...............American Beauty 460 .............................

I received an email from a Net54 "reader" asking me for the source of information for my contention that Mack and Plank refrained from using tobacco in any form.

In 2007 I posted a Net54 thread....https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...caramel&page=2....of my complicated theory regarding the scarcity of the T206 Eddie
Plank card, based on upon T206 cards vs E90-1 cards. Subsequently, my further research on this topic resulted in the most likely reason Plank was "short-printed".
Here are the two reasons......

1.....Connie Mack is quoted in his Biography...."Connie Mack (The Early Years of Baseball)", by Norman Macht.
"The secret of Plank's pitching is no secret at all. It is a good strong arm, a powerful constitution to back it, and neither drinks, SMOKES, nor swears"

2.....I attended events of the Philadelphia A's Historical Society. A number of years ago, the guest speaker at their annual November banquet was Connie Mack III.
He kept us mesmerized for 2 hours talking about his famous Grandfather. Afterwards, I had a chance to talk with him. A really friendly guy, Connie and I talked for
about 30 mins. We covered a lot of A's baseball (1901 - 1953). He confirmed that his Grandfather and Eddie Plank, both had a disdain for any form of tobacco use
and that they refused to endorse Tobacco products.

TED Z

T206 REFERENCE....convenient access to T206 checklists

Last edited by tedzan; 11-03-2022 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Added scan.