View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Dan Bretta

The Good- I bought a small lot of baseball paper ephemera off of ebay because I could see a Golden Jubilee program for Connie Mack in the lot. I won the lot for the minimum bid of $5...when the lot came in the mail there were two snapshots of a fellow with Connie Mack, the Golden Jubilee program was written in, but the writing told a story about how they had grown up next door to Mr Mack in Philly and what a great man he was...the best part though was a certificate from the American Legion for a baseball tournament that was signed by Kennesaw M Landis.

The Bad- I bought a small lot of what was supposed to be a 19th Century baseball scrapbook from one of those Ebay Live auctions..the auctions stated that the lot included the scrapbook a baseball themed hand fan, and about 100 baseball photos. It was one of those auctions where you had to arrange your own shipping...so I got the number of the shipper from the auctioneer and when I called he told me that it would be about a month before he could ship it...I was not happy, but what could I do? After about 6 weeks I called him back and asked where my package was and he said he'd get it out right away...about two weeks later it finally came and I was horribly disappointed to find out that scrapbook was just the covers...everything inside was torn out..the fan was nice, but there were no photos to be found anywhere. So I called the shipper and he told me that there never were any photos or anything inside the scrapbook...so I called the auctioneer and they said they had no idea what I was talking about. I wasn't out a lot of money, but it was disappointing nonetheless.

The Ugly- I once bought a BIN for what appeared to be a framed album page from an A&G baseball card album supposedly in an antique frame....when I opened the package there was an overwhelming blast of spray paint fumes...the gold on the frame came off on my fingers when I pulled it out...I knew right away I was scammed...the album page was a fake. I blame myself for that one...it was definitely too good to be true.