View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 09:51 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Historically, when did rookie cards become THE card of a player - most expensive? Back after WW2, in the 1950's, in the 60's or early 70's? When exactly did rookie cards become the most sought after, highest priced, even though not most rare cards of a particular player? Who made up the rookie card rules, who is most responsible for the rookie card craze? Was it one person, a small group, or did the public at large all of a sudden decide, yeah, thats it, the rookie cards - and forever more they will be over prices relative to the rarity of the other cards?
It actually made sense back in the late 70's when I first got into collecting. I asked the same question.

The reason was that most kids only collected for a few years, usually 2-4 maybe a bit longer. And at the time most players weren't great their first year.
So a kid collects say 51-54, gets an Aaron, along with a bunch of earlier cards.

Now in 55 he's making room for whatever his new interest is.

And either he gives the cards to a younger brother or another kid, or he or mom throw them out. But maybe he keeps a handful of cards of favorite players.

It's unlikely the new kid in Milwaukee who hit 13 homers and batted .280 is in that group.
So the rookie card becomes a bit less common than say the 55 where a kid may have collected from say 55 to 59 and might be more apt to save the established star.

That being said, card survival was an iffy thing. My own Reggie Jackson rookie survived a move and 6 years in the toybox. I also checked out a good friends card "collection" before he gave it to his nephew. 5 early 70's cards total not all the same year. All commons except the 73 Schmidt.
And when my moms coworker brought in her kids collections for me to buy she kept maybe 10 cards. Her kids favorite - Mantle of course.

Steve B