View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Bill Cohon

First of all, the police were called, and a report filed immediately. They didn't offer much hope, but they were in the loop from the start.

I don't know the law, but here's how I see it. My friend wanted his cards back, and essentially authorized the purchase by the owner. Had he been reluctant to do so, I imagine the scene would have played out quite differently. Namely, the shop owner would have required positive id (after all, he knew there was a freshly stolen collection out there), and likely not made a purchase at all.

Also, there is a limit to what should be expected of the shop owner, in terms of apprehending the thief. The way it has played out, there is a chance that the thief's image will have been captured on security video. So this may have been the best shot at getting the collection back AND catching the scoundrel.

There's no doubt that my friend should not have to pay to retrieve what is his. But, for his trouble, and perhaps even risk, I don't think the shop owner should be stiffed. When the thief is caught, he will owe my friend the money.