Thread: SCD 2002 Guide
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2001, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Default SCD 2002 Guide

Posted By: JMK

Julie,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. In fact, I am pretty surprised that your post was the first place that I saw anything about what to me was starting to look pretty obvious - that there was some kind of unspoken conspiracy to make sure Bonds did not get the record. Hard to say it was a racial thing but I was just not coming up with any other answers to what seemed to be blatant denial of access to the record by mostly white pitchers. San Diego Padres?? What are they pitching around him for? And then Houston got burned over and over and still did it. That last night I was really hoping he'd come up in the top of the ninth instead of bottom eight with men on. I thought if they walk him top nine when they are behind by 7, something is going to blow. I think even the commentator on Fox mentioned just before the AB that if he walked again he was not going to keep his mouth shut.

I was wondering when the racial aspect would come up and it really never did. I started thinking maybe it would be the elephant in the room that everyone pretended not to see. Me? I usually have more faith in people than that and have a hard time comprehending that anyone would do such a thing for that reason. But honestly - can anyone come up with any different reason? I just absolutely can't. No game strategy, no win-lose advantage, nothing. Well - maybe for a few of the AB's, but for as many times as he walked those last 6 or 8 games? Please. Anyone. Chime in with a good reason for those walks besides the fact that they simply did not want him to get the home run record.

Joann