Thread: SCD 2002 Guide
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2001, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Default SCD 2002 Guide

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Mike, I know there's been Barry bashing for a long time, and I also know he's not the most popular player. I guess my hangup is that so many people just want to label him based on little or nothing they themselves have seen, and follow the media'slead. I'm a staunch anti-media guy-- I think they use poor judgment, disregard people's privacy, have their own agendas and biases that they will never admit, are not particularly intelligent and abuse the tremedous power they have to paint portraits of people that are not reflective of their subjects. All of this in the name of "the people have a right to know".
You sure seem sincere in your dislike of Barry, and base it upon what you have seen.. that's certainly fair game. Others on this board may have the same observances, and that's all right by me too. I just wonder if this "not a good teammate" thing is overplayed. You know how the A's of the 70s fought, Munson and Reggie, others and Reggie on those great Yankee teams, and there has been resentment of even the great Cal Ripken by other Orioles for his being aloof and unreceptive to teammates. Personally, I am astonished to hear many to say they would not want Barry on their team. Company softball, maybe, where comaraderie is king. Professional sports, with excellence and winning emphasized, is quite another.
I've blathered long enough, got a bar stool with my name on it. Have a good weekend.