View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 01:05 PM
Curt

This is not about the cards themselves, but the amusement part of the same name, which is where the cards originated.

I joined the Navy in Nov 1987. I was sent to Orlando, FL for bootcamp. After I graduated sometime in late Jan/early Feb 1988, my parents came for the ceremony and a trip for themselves to do some sightseeing in the Florida area. They asked me what I wanted to do after being locked on the base for the last 8 weeks and I chose a trip to Boardwalk & Baseball. The park had just opened less than a year earlier (April 87).

I don't recall how I came to know about it, maybe my parents learned of it and told me about it, but I enjoyed the trip. I did buy the B&B card set directly from the park during my visit as well. I have a few souvenir photos from that day as well (I was wearing my dress blue uniform for some reason, because I think I recall I was not allowed to wear civilian clothes yet, even when out on my own with family).

I left Orlando and continued on with my life. Years later, I decided to look up the park and learn a little more about it. I was shocked to find that the park closed not long after I had made my visit (Jan 1990). There is something about that trip and my sentimentality that made me so glad that I chose that over Disneyland or something else. For what it was worth, I actually got to experience the park before it was gone forever. Now I wish I had taken more pictures!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardwalk_and_Baseball