View Single Post
Old 02-25-2019, 02:35 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post

The Cincinnati Redlegs "Big Red Machine" one was a bit puzzling. The earliest reference to "Big Red Machine" I could find seems to have come in 1969; however, most historians would consider this team's reign to have spanned the 1970-79 range. By 1969, however, MLB had cracked down on unlicensed novelties, so I can't imagine WGN made this as late as 1970 or thereafter, but who knows....

The other interesting thing is that I didn't think the Reds were still using the name "Redlegs" by the late 1960s or 70s. Perhaps they used "Redlegs" over "Reds" to skirt copyright laws that MLB had begun enforcing? I am curious as to PerezFan's take on this.
Great read Kyle! Surprised to learn it was WGN making one of my favorite football styles...The DayGlo football player surrounded by smaller players in stars. I love that one. Seems they made a lot more college pennants in that style than pro. I rarely come across a pro team but a new college version will show up every few months. And not just midwest schools. Army, Navy, Syracuse, Kentucky have all turned up recently.

I was wondering about that Redlegs pennant too. It's an oddity. Big Red Machine became popular in the 1970s. Not sure why they made the Redlegs version because there is a much more common version of that pennant that says Reds.

Anyone have any insight?