View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 11:53 PM

Default ASCO, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Even though I wouldn't touch D**gers stuff with a 10 foot pole, I was watching this. It went for $168.50. I wonder if it's related to my Giants photo pennant? Mine is full size; not sure about the D**gers version.
Rob: I'm glad I didn't lose out on that Koufax pennant to a Giant fan so, thanks for staying away

Both your photo-less Giants pennant and the Koufax photo pennant were made by ASCO, located in Winona, MN.

Allow me to piggy back on Duluth Eskimo's earlier comments, which I completely agree with: ASCO began making pennants when the Senators moved to Minnesota to become the Twins, around 1960. They spent most of the decade focusing on Minnesota teams; however, they did make some Dodger pennants because the Twins played the Dodgers in the '65 series, and I suppose they knew there'd be some demand for these products from visiting fans.

ASCO didn't invent the photo pennant; but, they may deserve credit for first modifying the typical team photo that Trench and others were offering into the individual player layout.

These individual player photo pennants are highly collectible and rare. The problem is ASCO did not seem to affix the photos to the felt as well as Trench. Consequently, many of their photo pennants are, today, sans photo. Which sucks because without the original photo, it's hard to say what these are worth.

Anyway, I plan to write a piece on ASCO in the coming weeks for those that care to learn more about their story, products, and their contributions to the hobby.