View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSports View Post
If it was World Series ball, it would make a huge impact on amount of bidders and final price.

You could contact the auction house to see what they would offer. Sometimes they would give you 10 percent back for bad listing.

I once brought a frame picture of Dummy Hoy but it came as Dummy Taylor, I felt that Hoy had more impact than Taylor. They said, they will refund me and re-list at next auction. I was so afraid that it will attract more bidders and underbidder next time.

Your ball is such a beauty for 650 dollars. I wouldn't risk returning and win it for few hundred off.

I guess we all need to do our homework before putting bids on

Enjoy the ball!!
Thanks for the response.

I have no plans of trying to return the ball, just wasn't sure how I felt about it.

When it comes to research, the WWII games are very confusing.

According to "When Baseball Went to War" (which was put out by the National WWII Museum) they played 7 games, with the NL winning in 6. According to the website Baseball in Wartime, they only played 6 games. (The website is "missing" Game 5 which was a 4-1 victory for the AL according to the book.)

Given the pieces I've seen I am now inclined to believe that game 6 may have actually been on October 6th, and the website is missing a game (hard to imagine that the book mistakenly added a game and somehow "knew" what the score was.)

If this understanding is correct, Oct. 6th was technically the "final" game of the series since the NL clinched the series and the 7th game was simply a scrimmage game because the tickets were sold.

It seems that this would have been the last real organized baseball of WWII.